File Manager in DirectAdmin allows you to view and edit your files and directories. In addition, you can check how much memory each file or directory is taking up, view and edit permissions, add password protection to directories, and move, upload, create, or delete files or directories. In this article we’ll explain how to use File Manager to perform these actions.
Accessing & Navigating File Manager
- Log in to DirectAdmin and navigate to the appropriate user account.
- Under the System Info & Files menu select File Manager.
- You are now viewing your user’s ‘root’ directory.
- To view the files for a specific domain click on the domains directory and select the appropriate domain.
- The core files for your site should be stored in your domain’s public_html directory.
Creating Files and Directories
- Navigate to the directory in which you wish to create the new subdirectory or file.
- At the bottom of the left-hand menu, select either “New Folder” or “Create File”.
- Enter the name and click “Create”.
- The new file or directory will appear in the folder you set as the path.
- Navigate to the directory where you wish to upload files.
- At the bottom of the left-hand menu, select “Upload File”.
- Attach the files you wish to upload.
- Click “Upload” when you are finished selecting.
- Navigate to the directory containing the files you wish to delete.
- Select all files to delete by placing checks in the left-most column.
- Click “Delete”, and click again to confirm.
Moving/Copying Files Between Directories
- Navigate to the directory currently containing the files you wish to copy or move.
- Select all files you wish to copy/move by placing checks in the left-most column.
- Click “Clipboard” to add these files to the clipboard.
- Navigate to the new directory where you wish to copy/move the files.
- At the bottom of the file list, click on the “Clipboard Actions” drop-down menu.
- If you wish to copy the files to the new directory, so that the original files remain in the old directory, click “Copy files”.
- If you wish to move the files to the new directory, so that the original files are removed from the old directory, click “Move files”.
- Additionally, you can add the files to this directory as a zipped file, by selecting “Compress files”.
Password-Protecting a Directory
- Navigate to the parent directory containing the directory you wish to password-protect.
- Hover over the name of the directory you wish to protect, and select “Protect” from the pop-up menu.
- Enter a prompt, username, and password, then click “Protect”.
- You can also manage password-protected directories by selecting Password Protect Directories from the Advanced Features menu.