FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol. As the name suggests, it is used to transfer files and folders between your local machine (desktop) and your hosting account.
- Open Dreamweaver. Then navigate to “Site” and choose “New Site”.
- Enter a Site Name (this can be anything, it’s just to help you identify the credentials in the future).
- Click “Servers” from the left-hand side.
- Click the “+” button to add a server.
- Enter a server name.
- Connect using FTP.
- Enter your FTP Host, which is your server name (e.g., vs999.vacares.com).
- Root Directory should be public_html.
- Enter your login name and password.
- Click “More Options”.
- Check the box for “Use Passive FTP”.
- Click on “Test” to see if everything is ok. The message “Dreamweaver connected to your Web server successfully” indicates that you successfully connected to the FTP server.
- Save this information and connect to your account.
If you were unable to log in to your FTP server please check your firewall and make the needed changes to allow FTP traffic. (Port 20 and 21)