WordPress is the most popular content management system on the web. It makes it easy to customize the look and functionality of a website with plugins and themes. This article explains how to use the Softaculous auto-installer to install WordPress on your site from the DirectAdmin control panel.
Note: If you have not done so already, we recommend setting up SSL on your domain before installing WordPress. See our support guide for more information.
- Log in to DirectAdmin.
- Navigate to user account that hosts the domain where you want to install WordPress.
- Under the Addons and Plugins menu select Softaculous Auto Installer.
- Find and select WordPress.
- Click “Install”.
- Fill out the Software Setup section with your desired WordPress version, protocol, domain, and directory.
- If the domain you want to use has SSL enabled, be sure to select “https://”” as your protocol. Otherwise select “http://””.
- Choose your domain from the drop down list. You can choose from any domains and subdomains you have created under the user account.
- The directory should be left blank if you wish to install WordPress at the root domain (e.g. ‘http://domain.com’;). If you choose to use a directory, the chosen directory must not already exist (the installer will create it for you).
- In the Site Settings section, choose a name and description for your WordPress site. These can be changed later.
- In the next section, set the login information you will use for your admin account. Be sure to save this username and password somewhere secure (we recommend using LastPass).
- The “Admin Email” should be an existing email address where you would like to receive important WordPress emails (such as update notifications or password reset links).
- Click the “+” to expand the Advanced Options section. Make sure the three boxes for auto-upgrades are all checked. This lets Softaculous update WordPress and its plugins and themes for you.
- Scroll to the very bottom and click “Install” to finish installing your WordPress site.
- Softaculous will begin installing WordPress on your site and give you a confirmation when it is done.
Logging in to WordPress Admin
- Once WordPress is installed on your site, you can log in to your Admin dashboard by going to: http://domain.com/wp-admin/ (replace domain.com with the address where you installed WordPress, including the directory if you used one).
- Log in with the admin username and password that you set during installation.
- From your dashboard you can design your WordPress site by installing plugins, adding and customizing a theme, and creating posts and pages.